Ceramic - Bearings - Technical
Ceramic vs Ceramic Hybrid
Ceramic Hybrid Bearings
A Ceramic Hybrid Bearing is a bearing with Steel Races and Ceramic Balls. The balls are usually Si3N4 (Silicon Nitride), and the races can be either SAE52100 Chrome Steel or AISI440C Stainless Steel.
Benefits of the Ceramic Hybrid Bearing
- Ceramic balls are harder often resulting in longer life.
- Ceramic balls are usually smoother resulting in less vibration.
- Ceramic balls are non-metallic meaning no magnetic build up and longer life due to no micro-welding between balls and races.
- More tolerant of reduced lubrication.
A Ceramic Bearing is a bearing with Ceramic Races and Ceramic Balls. Ceramic Bearings may be either Si3N4 (Silicon Nitride - Grey) or ZrO2 (Zirconia - White).
Benefits of the Ceramic Bearing
- High Temperature. Cages fitted to Ceramic Bearings are often made from PTFE which can withstand temperatures up to 260oC.
- With no cage the Zirconia Bearing can be used in temperatures exceeding 1000oC whereas Silicon Nitride can be used to around 700oC.
- Silicon Nitride Bearings can run at loads and speeds approaching those of steel bearings. Zirconia is reserved for slower less loaded applications.
- Inert to water and most chemicals.
- Non magnetic
- Can be used without lubrication
- No heat build up due to friction
You can find many types of ceramic bearings in the Small Parts & Bearings Ceramic Bearings Online Catalogue pages.
For a huge range of bearings online please visit the Bearing Shop Online Website.
Hobby and Engineering Supplies lists a smaller range of products and only the most popular items in each range. They also list many additional hobby specific categories.
For the best range of miniature and small bearings please try the Miniature Bearings Australia website. Miniature Bearings Australia also list a large variety of miniature engineering products.
Extra information for Technical - Bearings
Registered Australian Company: Small Parts & Bearings Pty Ltd (ABN 79 121 865 414)
Small Parts & Bearings offers 126234 products in 2741 categories including couplings, screws, hex nuts, ball bearings, roller bearings, thrust bearings, ceramic and hybrid bearings, stainless steel bearings, miniature bearings, shafting, corrosion resistant - see the full listing in the Online Catalogue. We have excellent Freight Rates within Australia and worldwide. We offer a choice of delivery with a signature required, or cheaper options with no signature required. The no signature required options are at the customer’s risk once the goods leave our store.
Using the links throughout this site you will find extensive information including catalogues, technical data, and other product specific information. We sell our products worldwide through our online store and our overseas freight rates are competitive for fully traceable courier delivery.
Small Parts & Bearings is part of MBA Group offering a select range from the MBA Group catalogue.
Small Parts & Bearings products are not authorised for sale into the USA or Canada due to the reluctance of Australian insurers to provide product liability insurance into those two countries.
Information on this website is Copyright Small Parts & Bearings 1997. All rights reserved.